About the Club
Westerlands is a small to medium-sized running club based in the west end of Glasgow. The club specialises in hill and off-road running, and enjoys regular curry nights which it takes as seriously as its running.
Westerlands Cross Country Club was founded by Bill Sheridan in 1977 for postgraduates of Glasgow University. The club therefore began life as an offshoot of Glasgow Uni Hares & Hounds, before branching out into hill and off-road running.
Westerlands takes its name from the old Glasgow University Sports Ground at Anniesland. This facility no longer exists since the playing fields were sold off to property developers in the mid 1990s.
The club organises various hill races across central and southern Scotland. Click here to read about Westies Races.
Special achievements by club members in recent years:
- Gregor & Ruth winning the 2018 Bog n’ Burns
- Gordon Bulloch 24 Dumgoyne in 72 hours
- Westerlands CCC hosted the 2016 British Athletics FRA Relay Championships in Luss
- Ros Evans – winner of the 2011 and 2012 SHR Championship V60 title
- Niall McAlinden – 2012 Bog and Burn series winner
- Donald Evans – winner of the 2009 SHR Under 23’s title
- Ellie Homewood – winner of the 2009 SHR Long Classics Series
- Val Houston – winner of the 2009 SHR Bog and Burn Series
- July 2009, Manny Gorman completed a record-breaking round of the Corbetts in 70 days
- May 2008, David Riach and Chris Upson won the Scottish Islands Peaks Race
- April 2008, Graham Kelly completed the epic Marathon des Sables
- Nov 2007, Nigel, David, Chris and Dougal won the Dunbartonshire Cross Country team title
- May 2003, Chris Upson completed Lakes24 an unrepeated 72-mile route in the Lake District
- March 2003, Gary Tompsett completed a solo, unsupported winter Ramsay Round in 32 hours 48 minutes
- July 2000, Charlie Campbell completed his self-propelled round of Munros in a record time of 48½ days
Active Club Members
Westerlands has more than 160 members who have actively participated in Scottish hill races since 2005.
No club would be complete without a club anthem, and in our case The Westies Flag is Flying High!